Conveniently located between here and there!
“Over the River and Through the Woods” is both the “tongue and cheek” directions as well as the literal. We have often told friends coming to visit that just when you think you’ve gone too far . . . keep going! But seriously, it is a beautiful scenic drive and well worth it once you get here. This is what country life is all about! His & Hers Farm is located along the scenic NH Route 123A, halfway between the villages of Alstead and South Acworth. The road parallels the scenic Cold River along its route. Also, for those who remember its hey-day, we are about 3 miles from the historic recreation area of Vilas Pool.
GPS DIRECTIONS - For those of you who rely on technology to get you to the right places, our physical street address is 561 NH Route 123A, South Acworth, NH (at the intersection of Forest Road).
• From points south (Hartford CT/NYC) - We are only 12 miles or so from Interstate 91 (Exit 5 – Bellows Falls & Westminster VT, and Walpole NH) – From the exit, take Route 5 south about a half-mile, and cross over the river into Walpole NH. Once in NH, take Route 12 north to Route 123 towards Alstead. Follow Route 123 through Alstead village and take a left onto Route 123A towards Acworth. There is a large “Mammoth” at this intersection. Go past Vilas Pool, past the historic covered bridge, past Tamarack Farm (Yellow house and barn) and around the corner to His & Hers Farm.
• From Keene – We are 20 miles from the Square. Take Route 12A north through Surry towards Alstead. Once up and over the mountain, take Route 123 North for about one mile. Take a right onto Route 123A, (at the large "Mammoth"), past Vilas Pool nd covered bridge, and 3 miles to our place.
• From the east (Concord or Manchester) – Take I-89 west from Concord, head south towards Hillsboro on Route 9. Continue south on Route 9 and take a right onto Route 123 and go through Stoddard village, up and over Pitcher Mountain. Take a right at the bottom of the mountain and follow Route 123/Route 10 to Marlow Village. Stay straight past the Christmas Tree Inn on Route 10 a few miles and then take a left onto Route 123A towards Acworth. Follow through South Acworth Village to His & Hers Farm.
But for those who need a bit more specifics, His & Hers Farm is located in the beautiful and rural town of Acworth, in the southwestern part of New Hampshire. This is one of the few remaining untouched areas of the state, close but just far enough from the busy tourist spots so that the condos and developments haven’t moved in yet. Less than 3 miles up the winding road is the South Acworth Village Store, which dates back to 1865 and is like stepping back in time. In the other direction, past the historic covered bridge, is the charming village of Alstead with its busy General Store including gourmet deli selections of prepared foods and local foods. A few miles further is the beautiful towns of Walpole and Charlestown along the Connecticut River, and historic Bellows Falls, Vermont, just across the river. As the crow flies, we are approximately 7 miles from the Connecticut River (Vermont Border) and about 30 miles north of the Massachusetts border.
His & Hers Farm is located in Southwest New Hampshire, in the Town of Acworth. It is halfway between the Cities of Keene and Claremont, NH and 10 minutes from Bellows Falls, VT.
• Distance from major airports
o Manchester-Boston Regional Airport – (60 miles)
o Bradley International Airport (Hartford) – (110 miles)
o Logan International Airport (Boston) – (115 miles)
Other Area Attractions
o Keene attractions – Keene State College, local and national shopping opportunities
o Dartmouth College in Hanover, NH
o Nearby Vermont attractions – Vermont Country Store, Grafton Inn, Woodstock Inn, Vermont Academy/Saxons River Inn,
o Morningside Flight Park; http://flymorningside.kittyhawk.com
o Burdick’s Chocolate in Walpole, NH;
o Historic Fort at #4 in Charlestown, NH;
o Sunapee Lake and Mountain for hiking, swimming and alpine skiing;
o Mt. Monadnock, the most climbed mountain in the world;
o The Connecticut River, Crescent Lake, and Lake Warren for boating, canoeing and kayaking.
Pillsbury State Park
o Alstead Village (5-6 minutes) – Kirby’s-Q Barbeque
o Walpole (15 minutes) boasts a few fabulous restaurants, including the Hungry Diner (Farm to Table), Diamond Pizza, Burdicks Restaurant, and Spencer’s Tavern. The Walpole Creamery is a must stop for Ice Cream lovers.
o North Walpole / Bellows Falls (15-20 minutes) – Lola’s Pizza, Leslie’s Tavern, Popolo’s on the Square, Athens Pizza, Moon Dog Cafe, Rockingham Roasters, Joy Wah Restaurant, etc.
o Charlestown (20 minutes) – Sumner House, Real Deal Deli, Charlestown House of Pizza
o Springfield (25-30 minutes) – The Copper Fox, Black Rock Steakhouse, etc.
o Keene (30 minutes) – Many great and notable eating choices, with both local flavor as well as numerous national restaurant chains.
o Claremont (30-35 minutes) - Many great and notable eating choices, with both local flavor as well as numerous national restaurant chains.
o Newport (30 minutes) – Courthouse Tavern, Salt Hill Pub
o Sunapee (35-40 minutes) – Suna Restaurant, The Anchor, Salt Hill Pub, etc.
o New London (45 minutes) – Peter Christian’s Tavern, Flying Goose Brew Pub
o And many others in between.
• Restaurants in the region – While there are no restaurants within walking distance, there are many great restaurants a few miles away. We typically plan on a 20–30-minute drive or a bit more for most places. Welcome to the country!!! The best part is that the Local “Farm to Table” food scene is thriving all around us. Lots of exciting choices for both eating out and cooking in. First off, both the historic South Acworth Village Store (less than 5 minute drive) and the Alstead General Store (5-6 minute drive) offer excellent prepared food options for both Breakfast and Lunches.
Ski Areas – Remember the “rural timing” of scenic country roads with small villages.
o Mt Sunapee – 24 miles
o Magic Mt – 35 miles
o Pats Peak – 38 miles
o Okemo Mt. – 36 miles
o Bromley Mt. – 44 miles
o Ragged Mt – 48 miles
o Mt Snow – 49 miles
o Stratton Mt – 50 miles
o Haystack Mt – 52 miles
o Killington Mt. – 58 miles
In hac habitasse platea dictumst. Aenean dapibus at arcu sit amet aliquam. Ut tortor dui, ornare a justo at, luctus hendrerit justo. Sed accumsan nisi non justo gravida interdum. Vestibulum venenatis molestie dolor, non ultrices velit ullamcorper ut. Ut molestie lectus eget semper suscipit. Ut vel risus id turpis volutpat porttitor in ut augue